Saturday, July 28, 2012

Local News Articles

My feature spots in some local papers this week. Very exciting!
I've been learning a lot from my fellow artists and business people in The Artisan Group, so I recently took the initiative to send some information about my work and my upcoming shows, to some of the local papers. I had three interviews in the last two weeks, which turned into three "feature" articles and one mention in the local papers!

I would like to thank the reporters who responded to my phone calls, and who wrote the articles:

Thank you to Tom Wilkinson for the article about my participation in "Art in the Village".
Thank you Katie Mueller for answering my plea for last-minute photos!

Read the article

Thank you to Amanda Moore for the great article with more mentions of Art in the Village. Many people who came to the show in Jordan today, mentioned that they saw the article and that was what made them come out! :)

Read the article here
Thank you, especially to Angela Scappatura. Angela returned my message, set up an interview and came to my house (twice! LOL) She was amazing. I was so nervous about doing the interview. She was so easy to talk to - - I really had nothing to be anxious about. Then  - whammo! I open the paper and find this fab BIG article, which I hope will get some more people coming to the Art by the Lighthouse Show on August 4th and 5th in Niagara-on-the-Lake!
She included a link to my on-line shop (Thank goodness!) and added info about The Artisan Group!

Read this article HERE

So - - here's what I've taken away from what's happened this week.

Self-promote by using the media to your advantage.

I've been working hard and have had these great opportunites, but haven't used the media to my advantage...until this week. I had a show today and have a show next week. I figured I could present my work appearing on CSI and a few of my Celebrity gifting opportunites and mention I had a couple of shows coming up. Perfect small story.

I don't know if I'm just an idiot, but I realized - - You need to take the stories to the reporters. How else are they going to know about you? You have to be your own cheerleader.

The worst thing that could happen is they don't call you back, right? Right.
3 out of 5 reporters did call back, and I received some great articles from those interviews.

Hard work pays off.

Most importantly, I am very blessed to have such supportive family and friends.
Thank you all so much!!!

The Art in the Village show was a success today. Beautiful weather, Gorgeous location, wonderful artists and great turnout. If you haven't made it to any of the Niagara Nights of Art events, I urge you to check out the next one. They are FREE. Show your local artists you support them, learn more about them and their work as they engage you in many different ways. You will be happy you did!


4 comments:

  1. Yay, Jody! So very deserving. Thanks for paving the way and showing that it can be done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read all three articles Jody. Great initiative and exposure and the photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen! Thank you!

      Interesting to see how the same info can be taken three different ways, hmm?! LOL.

      The reporters who did the phone interviews asked me to send photos asap, so I called up a family member who loves photography and asked if she would help out. We met up at one of the parks I frequent (with the boys). Oscar and Griff played and in between pushing them on the swing and watching them on the playground, Katie put together some nice shots! I'm not used to being on the other side of the camera, but, they turned out! ( I really like them!)

      I'm afraid my head is swelling. ;)

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog, and for leaving some comments of your own!