Friday, June 29, 2012

The Perfect Wedding








The Barn where the ceremony and reception were held. 
I was so excited to attend Bonnie and Adam's wedding on Thursday. Not only would we be witnessing two wonderful people being joined together in wedded bliss, but we would be sharing the day with old friends whom we don't see often enough (isn't that always the case?!) at the beautiful Ball's Falls in Jordan, Ontario. 


We arrived an hour early, which gave me a chance to wander the grounds and take some photos. 


I have loved this conservation area, the huge historic barns and outbuildings, since Mike introduced me to them, when we were first dating. It's a gorgeous spot. I was beyond thrilled that the wedding was going to be there!


A table near one of the open windows. A welcome breeze flowed through.

Doilies noted seating placement at the front door
Bonnie and Adam opted to take advantage of the many photo opportunities abounding at Ball's Falls and met one another before the ceremony. The love and adoration in their eyes upon seeing one another was evident. This was going to be a very special day.

I felt like a bit of a stalker, but couldn't pass up the chance of getting some pictures of the wedding party  on these historical grounds. I asked the professional photographers if they would mind if I tagged along behind them. As long as I stayed well out of their way, I was welcome. I left Mike to chat with some of his friends and excitedly ran to catch up with the happy couple and photogs.

His first look at Bonnie in her wedding dress. ( I am hiding behind a bush)



So Happy!






Beautiful hydrangea bouquet



In front of the Grist Mill


A painting of the Grist Mill, I painted, in watercolour, years ago. 


Sitting on the wall, overlooking the waterfall
(which, with the lack of rain this Spring, was sadly, very dry)



This was actually a group shot, but I couldn't resist getting a close-up
of Bonnie and Adam holding hands. 

Bonnie and Amy, being normal. LOL


I couldn't resist taking a picture of Hally's hair (Bonnie's Niece/the flower girl) while she waited for the
professional photographers to set up another shot. (Shh! She doesn't know I took it!) 

The Flower Girl, Bride and Matron of Honor, with the bags Bonnie made for the occasion

The Best Men and Groomy, with the controversial "one-hand-in-the-pocket" shot




I headed back to the Barn, to find Mike and be seated for the ceremony. 


I have attended many weddings, all special and lovely in their own ways. This wedding was unlike any I have ever been to. There was just as much attention to detail as any other wedding, everything looked beautiful. The only difference -- it seemed so relaxed and carefree! Every person you looked at, whether they be a guest or member of the wedding party, wore radiant smiles. It was the most cheerful, comforting wedding I've attended. 


There's something enchanting about sitting in an airy barn, built in the 1800's, surrounded by a small group of friends and family. I wondered about all of the events that have happened there over the years. A guitar strummed and the sublime voice of Amy's daughter filled the air, along with that joyful anticipation, waiting for the Bride. 


I put my camera down for the ceremony and was carried away by two people who genuinely honor each other and the new life they are making together for themselves and for Logan, Adam's 11 year old Son. A very emotional moment in the ceremony was when Adam surprised Logan with a personalized leather cuff, a symbol of their love for him and the new family they have become. I will never forget that moment and the look on Logan's face as his Dad and Bonnie embraced him. Why didn't I bring Kleenex? 




Bonnie's Family From Left: John (Brother), Jim and Mary Hildreth (Mom and Dad)
Bonnie, Adam, Laura and Ron (Brother), Jenn and Dan (Brother) 



Bonnie and her Dad

Adam and his Mom

Adam and Logan 

A bouquet with one of the bags Bonnie made for her wedding party

Heading back for more photos after the ceremony


Can't resist a funny mustache shot















Hors d'oeuvre?

Bonnie's sweet hair pin 

The Cake Topper. Bonnie Owl, Adam Owl, Logan Owl and their dog, Ollie




Detail from Bonnie's dress

Bonnie. One of the sweetest people I know. 



Paparazzi ;)



The barn was decorated with these lines of photo memories -- great idea

The most peaceful little spot. 

Here we are, child-free for the night. (Thanks, Oma and Opa for babysitting!)
Thanks to Laura Hildreth for the pic!
After an amazing meal and some great, heartfelt speeches we were free to roam the grounds, enjoying the company, the surroundings and a dusk that was made all the more perfect by the live band. 
What can be better than a fab live band in an old barn - - breaking out the Johnny Cash? They blended seamlessly into the night, the icing on the proverbial cake.

Sarah and Jeff




The program promised a sweet surprise at 10 pm. Sure enough, at ten minutes to Ten, an ice cream truck rolled up, out of the darkness, into the light of the barn doors!

By this time I had been drinking and dancing and my camera was safe in my car. I can't wait to see some of the photos other people have taken.

Bonnie climbed aboard and served Adam and vice-versa. Let me just say, that if you are looking to impress your friends (big and small) having an ice cream truck at your service with unlimited trips up to the window- - this is the way to go. One of the children actually went up and hugged the truck.

While enjoying one of many frozen treats, Murray (one of Bonnie's nephews) remarked that this was "probably the second best day of my life".

I'd say the ice cream truck was a success. Soft serve ice cream cones, rockets, banana splits, slushies, ice cream sandwiches, spongebob or spiderman ice cream treats...we all hit the dance floor again afterwards with a sugar high.

Look at that barn! 


I would like to thank Bonnie and Adam for letting us celebrate their special day with them. We enjoyed ourselves wholeheartedly and are so honored that we were invited! 


We wish you all of the best for this new life together. Lots of adventures to come, in your move from Colorado to Alberta! 





2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a sweet and thoughtful wedding. Ice cream truck at the end of the night? Genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a sweet wedding, (in more ways than one LOL)
      We are so fortunate to have been able to share such an amazing day. It was one of those days that you wish time would slow down for. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog, and for leaving some comments of your own!