Monday, April 14, 2014

Art Supplies - Watercolour

I've been getting so many messages lately, asking what kind of paints and paper and brushes I use.
Thought I'd give you all a peek at some of my supplies :)


If you're thinking of getting into painting in watercolor - - here are a few supplies that I would recommend:

You can grab yourself a "starter kit" of watercolors. I use little tubes of Cotman watercolors by Winsor and Newton. 

Cadmium Red (Deep Hue or Pale Hue) 
Yellow Ochre
Cadmium Yellow (Light or Pale Hue)
Ultramarine
Burnt Umber
Burnt Sienna
Sap Green 
Viridian Hue 

Always try to use the white of the paper for your whitest whites and never use black - - mix Ultramarine and Burnt Umber for a dark color instead  



I would invest in a watercolor block (This way all four sides are waxed and you shouldn't have to worry about messing about with taping down edges etc. Just make sure to let it completely dry before removing the sheet to get to the one underneath, otherwise it will curl. I use Arches Watercolor paper - cold pressed 140lb



Brushes can be expensive, but you don't have to spend a fortune to get a good one - - you may try some brands and not like them as much as others. I'm not too picky, as long as it holds its tip and doesn't get too bristly. My largest round brush is a size 12 Gold Sable, My smallest brushes are 00 - - and my medium brushes are so well-used that they have no numbers LOL. Any art supply store should have some good brushes ( I usually spend $5-20) each. (I use round brushes, myself)

Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog, and for leaving some comments of your own!